Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ide drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

redroach

IS-IT--Management
May 27, 2001
GB
a friend of mine has a an oldish pc, the ide drivers are missing, it works but is very slow, i have a disk with ide drivers on but my pc is much newer, could i use these drivers on their machine, if not how could i find out which drivers they need and where could i get them? also it says that some of the drivers are running in MS dos mode, again would reinstalling all of my newer drivers do any harm?

anyhelp appreciated

jared

Are you using Win98? If so you dont need the IDE drivers for the older system. Windows will have them already loaded. If your system is running the drives in MS-DOS mode you have bigger problems. You could have one of several problems.
1) a boot sector Virus. If you have this (running an Anti-Virus boot disk with the most recent virus defanitions will let you know.

2) the IDE port may be bad. In this case all you can do is get a new Motherboard.

3) a corrupt install of windows. Reinstalling may fix this.

Now are ALL drives (floppy, CDROM and Hard drives) using MS-DOS compatability mode? If so is probebly a virus. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

thanx for the help,
they are running win95, im not sure if all drives are using MS dos mode and where can i get an anti virus boot disk?

thanx again

jared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back