Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE Controller Driver Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orius

Technical User
Feb 10, 2002
US
Recently my windows auto update downloaded a new driver for my hard drive I believe. Soon after I realized windows was no longer recognizing my CD-Rom. I then inspected my system settings to find that my Primary and Secondary IDE controler drivers both have problems. I cannot remove these without removing the master. Each time I remove the master the system locks up. How can I fix this problem. I have tried loading the drivers a number of times and need some advice to attempt to get things back in order without having to reload my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post system information. The more, the better.
What mainboard ? What model ? Etc. Etc.

Do you know about " scanreg / restore " ?

Sorry, it was late when I posted. Here goes:
System contains:
- Award P6BAP-A+ Mobo, has built in soundcard and modem.
- 312 Kingston RAM
- Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer (this is not running either, I think it must have something to do with the IDE controller as well)
- 3D Prophet video card
- Atapi 48x CD-RoM
- Seagate 30 GB HD (primary)
- Some Generice 10 GB HD (secondary)
And No, I don't really know about Scanreg/Restore
The name of the updated file I downloaded was "Intelata.MPD"

Thanks

You have a Via chipset and Windows update gave you a Intel driver for your Primary and Secondary Bus Master IDE controllers. Just download the lastest 4 in 1 drivers from Via. Unzip the file. Then go into device manager and update the drivers for the two. Point it to your Via file and WIN9X. That should take care of it. It did the same thing to my wife's computer.

Hope this helps,

zed

Thanks for the advice!, I got everything back to working order. Why would windows auto update automatically update my drivers for something I don't even have??
Thanks again

Zack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back