Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IDE CD/RW makes system hang

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikolas78

Technical User
Sep 18, 2002
AU
I have a problem regarding my IDE CD/RW, the CD/RW is on the same IDE cable as the CDROM but when I burn a cd, the system hangs and operates as if there is hardly any RAM at all when I have 256mb of RAM on my system. I had a look at the performance tab in the task manager and the RAM seems fine but the CPU always fluctuates from 99% to 30% or less.

I can't pin point the problem, can anyone help?

first off if u always burn cd to cd it is best to have the cdrom and the cdrw on seperate ide's, best if u have a controller card just to put ur hard drives on, but in my experience a hard drive on a controller card lacks performance. but u should always burn at half the speed of ur cdrom drive ie(CDRW 24x CDROM 48x). it is always best to copy to the harddrive then to the burner. and make sure u have the latest updates for ur burning software. ohh and if ur burning a disk that can't be copied at all, it may make ur system hang. hope this was of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back