Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I'd like to create a ranking system

Status
Not open for further replies.

edge27

Programmer
Jun 23, 2003
US
I want to create a ranking system where I have over 100 items. Each item can be assigned a rank of 1-99, hi, med, low or nothing at all. Each rank number can only be used once. If an item gets ranked, for example, #33, the current number 33 should become 34, 34 should become 35, etc. I can only use ASP, JavaScript or VBScript. I am thinking of using an onChange event to run some JavaScript that searches the values and does the updating but I want to hear some ideas from the forum. The data resides on SQL Server tables. Seems like asp.net has drag and drop functionality but asp.net is not an option.

Do you want the ranking procedure to happen on the client, or server? For example, if you have few users making lots of ranking changes, probably client is best for display update speed issues. If, on the other hand, you have lots of users making updates, then you should use server-side, for concurrency issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back