Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Id() function problem with dbase IV and Netware 5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lincemexicano

Programmer
Aug 21, 2003
MX
Hello guys,

We are working on a Novell 5.1 lan with SP5. The client are the last revision published by Novell for Win98 and Win2000 Professional.

Our problem:

Many people has detected that the username reported by id() function is not theyre usernames. Sometimes reports the realname, sometimes reports the machine name or other user name instead on the same machine and with the same login username!.

I already updates the NW Client software (on Win200 and 98) and the problem has not been resolved.

¿Any ideas?

Novell Netware seems to know how to provide dBase with the correct logon username. When we ran Netware 5.0 it always seemed to work fine. At the time we had very few NT/2000/XP workstations, so I wonder if the problems you're having aren't on those NT-based Windows systems?

When we changed to a Windows server, we started getting the computer name from ID() rather than the logon username on ALL workstations. The problem we have is that dBase for DOS cannot see Windows registries and therefore it cannot determine the actual person logged on, only the computer name. Sadly, my guess is that Netware was doing something at logon to make the username visible within the DOS window environment that Windows does not try to do. It seems the strategy on high "is you can't depend on a DOS window anymore so convert to Windows".
thread290-560127

Here is a thread where I am still contemplating the answers for a workaround. Although the Windows NT+ family does have a DOS environment variable named "username" which is accessable through the GETENV() function, Windows 98/98se/Me does not. One of the issues is that if you do manage to find the username and create it within a DOS window, if it is closed, you lose it the next time you run dBase in a new window.
thread329-609511

Hmm, if the problem in your case really is that the newer workstations with NT/2000/XP give the wrong answer to ID(), maybe you could try this in your code. It trys first to pick up the NT/2000/XP username variable using GETENV() and if that fails then it uses ID().

Code:
myID=GETENV("username")
IF myID=""
   myID=ID()
ENDIF

The login script of Novell Netware 5.1 automatically sets the "username" system var on windows and dos environments. The problem is that we are using the id() function on more than one hundred programs. Change it is a really hard work.

I will continue with our investigation and write you soon.

Thanks a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back