Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ID File is in use elsewhere and cannot be modified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jdogga

MIS
Nov 2, 2001
US
Hi, I am a Notes Admin for a large company,and I have found several users who receive the following pop-up message:
"The id file is in use elsewhere and cannot be modified."
I know it has to do with the "lock id" preference on the notes client... but I still want these users to be able to use this feature. Disabling it is not an option. The Lotus Knowledge Base article did not help. It suggestted that these users are using both the CTRL-ALT-DEL locking via the OS as well as the Notes ID locking. However, the users who are having this problem are NOT locking their machines via CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Any ideas?
Thanks much.

Title: Error: "The ID File is in Use Elsewhere and Cannot Be Modified" Attempting to Unlock PC and Notes ID
Product Area: Domino Server, Notes
Product: Domino Server 5.x, Domino Server 4.6x, Domino Server 4.5x
Topic: Server \\ Security \\ User ID/Passwords
Number: 178236
Date: 06/28/2001

Problem:

You lock your personal computer (PC) or Notebook computer while you are away from your desk. You also choose to lock your Notes ID after a certain amount of minutes. When you return and attempt to unlock the PC or notebook, the following error occurs:

"The ID file is in use elsewhere and cannot be modified."

If you click OK, the following error occurs:

"ID file locked by another process."

You must click OK several times before you can enter your password.

Solution:

This issue was reported to Lotus Quality Engineering and has been addressed in Domino release 5.0.7a.

-------------------------------------------------

I just saw this error display again this morning following an upgrade from 5.06a to 5.08, so I am not hopeful that Lotus has actually fixed the problem. I don't know of any fix - just the 'workarounds' that Lotus recommends from the previous post.

RonP

Setting the lock ID after x minutes of inactivity to zero is the only solution we've found to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back