Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICYBOX NAS on Mac- Veery slow. Normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mggm

Technical User
Jul 13, 2011
BE
I have an ICYBOX NAS4220B, in which I put 2 x 2Tb WD20EARS. I connected it to a MacPro with Snow Leopard through a Belkin WiFi N router.

After setting it up according to guidelines on how to make it work with Timemachine I started a backup of around 2.8Tb of data, and it was immediately evident it would have taken around a week.

The enclosed screen capture shows how the transfer was made, at an average of 4.3MB/second, with occasional slowdowns to 2.5-3. After 10 days I have the impression speed slowed even more and at some time the connection just broke and the backup was lost.

Any idea if this kind of speed is normal, and if something can be done to improve it? Or is this a limitation of the Icybox or any other of my components?

Thanks in advance for any input

just wondering,what kind of data are you backing up ? Small files , big files ? I would test by linking the Mac and the icy box with a cross cable if I were you, this would provide the most optimal situation. What speeds are you obtaining when copying a large file from your mac to the icy box over smb of afp ?

rgds

R.

NetApp Certified NCDA/NCIE-SAN

HI

I am backing up 4 drives with both small (system) and large or very large (photos, videos) files.

The maximum peak speed I have seen, after doing a direct connection with Class 5E cables, is 17 MB/s, but more often an average of 4 to 8 MB/s. I think I am giving up, yesterday I bought two esata boxes and at the moment the 4TB JBOD I made is happily copying at 40MB/s.

My doubt is now another: if the machine I am backing up is stolen or breaks down, will another machine recognize the JBOD RAID and allow me to restore the files???

Thanks in advance
Maurizio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back