Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

smash81

Programmer
Mar 12, 2001
KE
Hello,
I wanted to know if it is possible to create icons using photoshop and save them as .ico
Please let me know how this can be done if anyones knows about it.
Thank you in advance
Cheers

You can make the icons in photoshop but you will need other software to save as .ico. Use this link to get yourself an evaluation copy:

It is realy easy to use but if you're gonna create them in PS then all you need do is open the .gif in Microangelo and the save it as .ico. You can also do cursors too. roda B-)

Learning is like rowing against the current. As soon as you stop, you start going backwards.

Hi Smash,

An even easier way to make your Photoshop files into icons is to save them as a bmp file. Rename the file with an ico extension. Windows does the resizing and everything! Have Fun.

Suzanne

Hey suzCubfan

I tried your suggestion in Windows 98 and afterwards I used this icon in Visual Basic as a mousepointer.
But sadly it doesn’t work this way for me.
Perhaps it is too good to be true, that Windows would change the filestructure of a bmp?

By the way, you can get information on, how images are stored on: It helped me understand, how jpg. formats can be so small in filesize and how to work with metafiles.

With Regards from KBBJ (-:

HI KBBJ,

I don't generally use my ico files for anything but simple desktop icons. If that is all Smash wanted to do, then my method works fine. I am using Windows Me which isn't that different from Windows 98. I would Microangelo to create cursors which to my knowledge are different than icons. Sorry I know nothing about Visual Basic but I just took a picture of my cat, edited it in Photo Shop 6.01, saved it as a BMP, went into DOS and renamed it to an ICO file and replaced my Netscape Icon with the new one of my cat. It looks silly but the size is perfect it works great.

Suzanne

Oh Oh (like Niles from “Fraiser” would have said). Right now, I can see some fine possibilities with your method Suzanne.
Regards from KBBJ :)

hey smash81, did you find a way to make icons in photoshop then save as .ico yet???????????

Hi,

Simply make a .bmp file then using DOS rename it to .ico

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Hello,
Thank you all for the invaluable advice and help.I have started using microangelo and it is great for the purpose of creating icons.
Thank you once again

Hi,

There is another way to convert your bmp to ico. open the bmp file in MS Paint and save with .ico format it will change as ico file. This will help you only your image created using 16 colors. If you have used more colors you cannot avoid the color loss.

Also there are lot of third party porgrames are out there to convert from bmp to ico. check in I hope that would be better.

Prakash Srivaths

prak74,

My version of MS-Paint can save as:
-MONOCROME .BMP
-16 COLOR .BMP
-256 COLOR .BMP
-24-BIT .BMP
-JPEG

Also you can have icons at 32-bit too. All my custom icons are True Color (32-bit) icons. I use an icon editor though called IconCool Editor. I would suggest that if anyone is seriuos about making icons then they should get an editor. Most shareware ones aren't that expensive and there are bound to be free ones out there too.

I need to retract my statement above though. You can't just save as a .bmp and rename to .ico I just tried it and it screws up the colors. Sorry!

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

design@spyderix-designz.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back