Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons wont open Cantget to control panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetworkGuy101

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2002
US
Hello I am having a problem my desktop icons are not working. I get a start button but I can open control panel from it. On start up my taskmanager loads all my programs but when I try anything they disappear. I also cant open IExplorer but I can get the properties. I cant open windows explorer wither. Any ideas? No changes to the system that I know of.

Have you scanned your system for viruses? Have you loaded any programs? Have you scanned your system for sypware?

I think I have found a fix. I will implement today and post if it works.

If not, post back if this happens in safe mode too.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

It doesnt happen in safe mode. I scanned and loaded all available patches for worms. I am getting a SVChost.exe generated errors and has to shutdown. This is in safemode. Reloaded SVC Pack 4. Stil no luck. I dont want to reload this one because I am really curious as to wht the root is. I am sure it is a worm but one that I can find with any of the Norton or MS Fixes. Any ideas?

Might pull the drive and slave it off another pc, and use that pc to scan it.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Solution : You must remove/reinstall or upgrade to a newer version Client for Microsoft Networks in your local area connection properties. It causes following error: "svchost.exe generated errors and will be closed by Windows. Log will be created". I 've done it and now everything works alright. Before removing first check for viruses(Winblaster), read at Symantec site how to remove it... Read FAQ at Microsoft: Error in Svchost.exe When Running Aventail Connect Client

Did this cause none of your programs to open up in regular user mode though? I am not even sure that the problem computer is reunning this program.

If you are sure you are virus free then this should fix it.
install security patch KB823980 and service pack 4. I know you did service pack 4 try the security patch.
If you have to scan system for viruses from DOS.

I install Ad Ware 6 and ran it. It removed several registry entries and now the system is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back