Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons showing as generic unassigned application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2002
US
I've googled around for an answer and have yet to find one.

I recently moved several of my laptop users to the domain. They were setup as members of the "US" workgroup originally. I added the laptop to the "US" Domain.

I then went and copied the local profile to the domain profile so they maintained all their settings. Everything seemed fine except the shortcuts to a few apps (Office, Adobe) appeared as the generic unknown app icon. I went to Program Files, and recreated the shortcuts. That worked. When one opens a directory in Windows Explorer you can see the file, but it has no associated ICON. I have by default the extension showed for all file types, so you can determine what type of file it is by the name. When you click on the link, the correct application opens the file.

I switched back to the local profile and the icons appeared correctly. I logged in as a different user(That hasn't logged on before) and the icons did not appear correctly.

I applied tweak UI and tried the icon repair.
I edited the registry
"[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer]
"Max Cached Icons"="2048" "
"[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics]
"Shell Icon BPP"="16"
"Shell Icon Size"="32"

I tried to find shelliconcache and delete it, but could not find the file (I unhide operating system files).

Suggestions on where to go?

Try resetting the Files Type Association in Folder Options.

1) Click Advanced in File Types of Folder options and re-choose the icon.
Or
2) Reset the association and icon.

Example: ZIP, choose Change and make the association with Word. Apply and then go change it back, click on the Advanced tab and re associate the Icon.

Thanks for the prompt response afitzroy..

I tried it, and it didn't work. I even created a New Assoication with the same name (DOC,XLS). It said the assocation already exists, but prompts to to save anyway.
I confirm and it looks like it has the proper icon, but in Explorer it still shows the unassociate icon.

Any Further suggestions?

IconCache.db might be the file in question and not "shelliconcache".

The location is C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ USERNAME\LOCAL SETTINGS\APPLICATION DATA\IconCache.db (where USERNAME is your account name).
Once you have deleted that file start up TweakUI for win xp and choose to rebuild icons.

Desktop Icons Not Displaying Correctly
thread779-1178742

Weird XP issue
thread779-1193965

The Folders Bar in Windows Explorer Does Not Contain Any Icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back