Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons on Bookmarks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

baxnfalls

Technical User
Apr 29, 2001
US
Greetings,

Does anyone know how to get an icon on the bookmark when people make a favorite in IE?

Thanks,

Tim

These are called 'favicons', and work in IE.

You need to create a 16x16 pixel, 256 colour icon, and name it favicon.ico and place it in the root directory of your website ( - if you don't have access to the roor dir, you can place the icon somewhere in your site, then reference it in your HEAD tags for each page:
<LINK REL=&quot;SHORTCUT ICON&quot; href=&quot;/path/favicon.ico&quot;>

If you need more info on these icons, try a quick search for favicon in your favourite search engine...

Hope this helps

Thank you very much, I will give it a try!

I was always curious how to do that. I'll have to try it when I get a chance.

Arion23, you should write a FAQ for this.

Hello to all,

Arion23, is there a special program to use to create a *.ico file? I use photoshop, but there is no way to save a *.ico, can I just rename a gif later?

Also I never would have believe that 16 by 16 is so small! Have to put my thinking cap on to come up with a suitable icon.

Thanks Again,

Tim

There's are quite a few icon producing programs available.
I found one called AX-icons, at that you can download, and try for a while before you buy.
It's easy to use, and you can insert any graphics or text that you want into the icon..
There is also a program to make mouse pointers from the same company.
Hope that helps.

Just for everyone's info has an online icon generator. I think it is basic, and if you want you can download the real version, but hey, it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back