Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icons Frozen, no internet access and unable to remove programmes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kakkarotto

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
GB
I had just got my PC working perfectly when I decided to load a new game onto my PC and start enjoying it for a change and now its come up with a new problem :-s
After installing a game (Age of Empires) and playing it for a couple of hours (and losing) I closed it up and all my icons had been rearranged and I couldn't drag them at all. A few of the icons had also changed slightly. I then tried to access the internet and although I was able to connect, my browsers (firefox and IE) weren't able to find and web sites, sorry can't remember the error message. I also got a message about Symantec being out of date or something and recommending that I delete all entries of Symantec and reinstall but when I went to add/remove programme I wasn't able to access it. When I clicked on the icon in control panel it opens another window but no it doesn't have the usual appearance and I can't do anything in it. I also tried to go through administrative tools and got a message saying that it was unable to open it cos I was running in safe mode or W2K is corrupt and needs re-installing, I wasn't in safe mode and I'm hoping I don't have to re-install :-s

I did all the checks with spybot and adaware and they found a few things but it didn't clear it up the problem. I really hope someone out there can help :)

Can you run a virus scan or will that not work either?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

I tried using Norton antivirus to scan my drive but it wouldn't run. Symantec was originally part of the Norton install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back