Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icon moves when moused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leitana

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
MY
A customer brought in a PC with win2000. the problem is, the icons on desktop moves away when i brought the cursor over it.

Comp is clean from virus ( at least that's what Norton AV report). From Task manager, if I end explorer.exe, it stopped for a while, but happen again some time later. At its place, its connected to Internet all the time, though I haven't connected it to the net since it was brough in. A boot with 2k CD and repair does not solve it.

Do note that I'm formatting the system soon - the computer can't wait more than two days, and I already spent one whole day on it. I'm really frustated about not being able to find the solution.

Sounds like some kind of infection/joke program, I would recommend backing up the data onto CD and reformatting the machine, then before copying back the CD, virus check it with an upto date scan engine & dats, this should sort out the problem. Alternatively use an online scan utility ie Norton.
Hope this helps

Also should I say when the icons are moving, it is in a dangerous state. It is a very nasty virus. If you are on an experimental box (as you say you are on the way to format it again), no problem---play around, but do not operate it on a network environment. Further reference:

Thanks - I really appreciate this.

The box is not mine, state owned, and the whole office is networked, at least up to the whole state, and we formatted another of their's some time ago for the same reason.
At the time, I wasn't here yet, but it was in the records.

I'm advising them to take the network down. I certainly think that is still there, somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back