Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icon change on application window 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JerryAttrick

Technical User
May 14, 2005
NZ
I’m using Delphi 6 free edition. In the left on the top bar of the application window is an icon followed by the application name (the current Delphi icon shown is a large letter ‘I’ with a small globe).

How can I change that Delphi icon to one of my own which has more relevance to the application?

Presumably the replacement icon will need to be 16 x 16 pixels (like the original) and 16 colours, or what spec should it have? Assuming I design my own icon, am I limited to the 16 dreadful colours shown in ‘Image Editor’? The original icon clearly doesn’t use the ‘Image Editor’ colours.

Jerry
BOP NZ

From Delphi Menu, go to:

Project/Options

Click on 'Application' tab and there is a button that let you 'Load Icon'.

You can use any .ico file 16x16 pixels and any number of color.

Giovanni Caramia

Incidentally, if you want to design your own icon, you can use the Image Editor in the Tools menu of Delphi 6. It has the ability to create new ".ico" files to a standard icon size but unfortunately is very limited in the number of colours it provides. However, for simple icons it will suffice.

Clive [infinity]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
Paul Ehrlich
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

Clive,
Those Image Editor colours are terrible! But I can't find any other way of generating my own icon. PaintShop Pro 8 doesn't suport *.ico format, and neither does MS 'Paint'.

Jerry

What about IconForge?
Also your icon dosnt have to be 16*16 you can use 32*32.

Steve: Delphi a feersum engin indeed.

I personally have used the following products in the past (which offer more than 16 colours!):
- Aha-soft IconoMaker(I think they may have changed the name of this product)
- IconEdit Pro
and have heard good reports for both axialis and microangelo (mentioned above)

The reason I mentioned Image Editor was just a starting point for you really. When you create a new ".ico" file it asks you whether you want a small icon (16x16) or a standard icon (32x32) - which I thought would be a bit of helpful information for you. I just re-read your post and I am guilty of speed-reading because I missed the original comment you made regarding Image Editor. Apologies for that!

Clive [infinity]
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer."
Paul Ehrlich
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

I have now stumbled across the icon editor 'PixelToolbox' at and it is Freeware. After playing for an hour it appears to be easy to drive and will accept jpg files, turn them into icons and allow one to save as an .ico format file. Also it comes with a good pdf manual as standard.

So it seems to be exactly what I was looking for and I'm well on the way to a solution for this facet of my application. . . . . . "One small step for man . . . . . .".

Thanks everybody. The response from this forum is simply great.

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back