Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Icon and Bitmap for installer project 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluntbill

Programmer
Jun 7, 2006
PT
I have a C# application, and a setup in the same solution.

I have a icon for the application as a resource, because I don't want to have separate files for the app and the icon.

Now I want to add an icon to the shortcuts created by the setup and a logo for the user interface of the setup, but can't manage to use the resource on my solution. And when I select an icon, it is added to the solution and put into my application folder on install. Is there a way of embedding the icon and the image on the setup?

thank you

can't this be done?

I've been searching and trying several things in the project but I can't manage to use an embedded instead of one that is installed to the application folder with the project...

please, I could really use some help :)

Sorry, I use the open-source WiX installer (available on SourceForge).
Maybe someone else can help.

Chip H.

One way to do this is … Have you installed Google Earth? They just use an exe file that can easily have an icon attached. Sry I don’t know if this can be done with a setup.msi file in VS.

Age is a consequence of experience

well maybe I will try the wix installer and see if I can do it...

If anyone knows how to put the icons on the shortcuts and setup without having them put on the application folder, please say so.

Okay, that is possible.
-Add that .icon file in the Application Folder
-Create the shortcut (User Desktop or User Program Menu)
-Make sure AlwaysCreate property is set to TRUE
-Go to Properties window of that shortcut
-Set the Icon property browsing the Application Folder and select the .icon.
-Select the Application Folder in the File System and you should see the .icon file
-Select the .icon file and in Exclude it from installation by setting Exclude to TRUE
-Build the setup project.
The .icon is not installed but it is shown on the shortcut.

obislavu

Thanks a lot!!

The only thing I needed to change was setting the exclude property to true on the icon. Now it isn't installed to the application folder, but it appears on both the desktop and the start menu shortcut.

thank you again.
you deserve a star for that :)

by the way, is it possible to do the same thing with the bitmap of the setup file? i'll give it a try later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back