Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICA client enables my 'FN' key on my laptop. Can't disable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssnowflake

Technical User
May 29, 2001
US
When I installed ICA client on my laptop (IBM Thinkpad 570 running on Win 98) so I could support remotely from my office, it enables my FN key and I can't turn it off unless I reboot. This only happens once I launch ICA client. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. Anybody??

We have seen this here resently with Dell paltops (Inspiron) but rebooting didn't fix it. We ended up deleteing the user profile and recreating it. We thought it was an MS Office issue, but now know better. If anyone finds a fix please let us know. Thanks.

Bud

I haven't ever used the terminal server client. Are there any compatability issues with it? I will try it! Thanks.

The Terminal Server client is Microsoft's version of the Citrix one - it doesn't require MetaFrame, but doesn't have most of the features.

Using the Terminal Server client will prove whether or not this is something that can be tweaked in the Citrix client, or if it's something to do with the base O/S or even the laptop.

Hope this helps

(Jim Rodney, ITS Operations Manager)
I'm interested to find out if there has been any resolution on this function key issue. We're having this same problem on two DELL Inspiron laptops running Windows NT. On both I returned them to normal operation by deleting & recreating the users' profiles. One seems OK now but the other locks the function key back on each time it is restarted. Thanks if you can supply any more info. JR

I have the Citrix ICA client installed on my IBM ThinkPad T23. I'm not sure if it's the cause of my problem, but on a frequent basis, if I even touch my PC, it gives me a blue screen hardware error and reboots.

It's a T23 ThinkPad running WinXP Professional and IE6. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dont know if this will help or not......

Start Program Neighbourhood, highlight the Citrix Client configuration you wish to change/edit,select Tools Menu option, then ICA Settings, General Tab, the Keyboard Layout "defaults" to "User Profile"....???? Try selecting the language you wish to use....??? It's also possible to disable all the settings under the "HotKeys" tab, I know we have had to do this for certain apps that expect a different keyboard mapping to be applied, especially for Terminal Emulation......

Hope this helps....

Thanks - it did help. Just for the heck of it, I completely deinstalled the Citix ICA client. The problem seems to have gone away. I'll keep it that way to see.

BTW, I wasn't clear on my earlier post- only when I would hit the notebook's function key did I get a blue screen, hardware error and reboot.

What was the error code on the Blue Screen....???

The Bios on your laptop may allow u to set-up the "function" key for a particular task....????....could be it's trying to perform something not set-up or supported within the O/S.....

Thanks - That's an interesting theory- I'll check out the BIOS settings on the function key. BTW, deinstalling the Citrix client didn't help with this function key issue. It's too bad, as I thought that was what was causing this silliness. Typing with this notebook is an exercise in avoiding the fn key so as not to bluescreen! The other possibility is that I installed a driver for a CD rom burner on the notebook that Windows XP didn't like. Unfortunately, I can't deinstall this driver.

Worst comes to worst, IBM ThinkPads now have a hidden partition that contains a factory image. I'll backup my data, hold the f11 key when booting, and reimage, the PC, and then restore the data and software (except, maybe, for the CD ROM burner driver!).

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back