Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ICA browser service

Status
Not open for further replies.

lug

IS-IT--Management
Dec 7, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I am having a nightmare! We have got a single farm with 60+ citrix servers. Half are one subnet and half on another. We lost the link between the two sites, therefore the servers in our second site could no longer contact the ica master browser. My question is: why can i not get one of the backup browsers to assume the role of a master? how do you tell if an election has taken place, and what happened if one did? If i do a qserver it still shows all 60 servers even though i cannot ping half of them (??) what is going on with my ica browser? is it even possible to have a master for each site in the same farm under these temporary circumstances of a link failure?

A lot of questions there... please help!!

Thanks.

If the connection between the two subnets are lost, then you might want to check the ICA Gateway settings in the administrator. I think this isnt working properly.

You can tell if elections have happend by checking the eventlogs and the citrix logfiles.

Normally, a backup browser will be masterbrowser, when the master is gone. However, if there is another server with a masterbrowser that has a higher version nr (because of a newer sp or hotfix) than he will be masterbrowser over the backup browser. Check if the backup browser has the latest SP and hotfixes.

Qserver uses cached info. First run QServer /RESETFARM this will upgrade all browsers.

thanks for the reply.

if qserver uses cached info, then this explains alot ie why my backup browser did not appear to have become a master browser. it probably was. does the qserver /resetfarm have any other wierd sideffects or can it be done safely? what do you mean by "upgrade browsers" does it just clear all the cache and get fresh info from all the member servers? i did check the event logs but nothing appeared in there, what should i be looking for? where are the citrix logs to look in?

Sorry even more questions... please reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back