Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ibook has died

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottian

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
my 14 inch ibook has died, it was plugged in with the charger and the battery was charging then for some reason a few moments later i noticed it had stopped charging but the battery wasnt full and the light on the charger connecter was off. (not green or orange)
Does anyone know how i can fix this ive tried checking the power adapter but it seems to be working ok and warms up when its plugged in. but no power is getting to the ibook

Be ALERT - Your country needs Lerts

Hey Scottian,

Is this the Dual USB iBook ? The reason why I'm asking that there was an article a few days back that there's a class action law suit against Apple that's being started from this Dual USB iBook owner. He claims that his iBook had many issues and feels that it's a logic board flaw/issue that Apple is not acknowledging. It seems a few users are having the same issues also. Have you had the iBook checked out yet ?

It is a dual usb port iBook. with firewire and ethernet built in also. 12 inch screen 800 mhz G4 processor. I have to admit i was not impressed with the overall running of the iBook. I've performed numerous clean installs and the book did regularly hang causing me to have to remove all power(remove battery and disconect power lead) in order to restart it. also the battery lock just seemed to disentergrate one day. what i am trying to do is work out what may be wrong (i.e power adaptor / connector on the book) before i hand it in to PC world, as they seem to be the only company in close proximity to me that may be able to help. The only other option is to wait until I'm next in london and have a real apple dealer have a look at it. do you have anymore details regarding this lawsuit or where i could read about it.

noble2555,
thanks very much for that information and the links it made interesting reading. It seems that what i initially thought couldnt possibly happen (that the system somehow controls the charging of the battery and that if the system disables the battery charging then how do i boot up from a CD and repair the system (im sure joseph heller would have loved that one)) is evident and defies belief. Also the iBook had just passed the warranty threshold.
cheers and i'll have a go tonite. with a bit of luck i'll be able to get somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back