Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM xSeries Bios set to default settings mistakenly

Status
Not open for further replies.

gadzooks1

Technical User
Oct 26, 2005
US
Hi, we have a 3 year old xSeries 235 server here. The IBM raid utility indicated one of the drives were defunct and the defaults setting in this utility were mistakenly applied. Now the logical drive is not detected and all three drives are back online. Is there a way to recover the overwritten configuration or do I have to rebuild the server?

TIA

huh? when you say defaults you mean someone restored to factory defaults? Do the drives show "RDY" or "ONL"?

ibmtech65,

Unfortunately the drives show "RDY

Boot to Ctrl-i go into advance functions and copy configuration from drives to the controller.

Thanks ibmtech65, that got our configuration back to where we can see the questionable drive and saved me a rebuild. I am now waiting a replacement hard-drive to arrive. Are there any special considerations needed to rebuild the drive?

If the OS is up and running all you have to do is remove the failed drive, wait a few minutes so the controller has time to recognize it is removed, then put in the new drive. It should start rebuilding.

The failed drive has been replaced, but the OS will not boot completely. Im getting a NICI CSS: fatal initialization error. Looks like I will have to re-install now. Thanks for the tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back