Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM x3650 Server ServeRAID 8k

Status
Not open for further replies.

goickle

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2006
US
Running out of space on this server. I Currently have three 146gb drives in a RAID 5 configuration.
C: system drive (W2k3) of 10GB
F: Data drive used for file server

Can I add an additional drive on the fly and have the RAID controller add it in? Does it require a reboot? Once It is added, how do I add it to the F: drive? Can I run diskpart and simply extend? I do not want to risk the chance of losing any data on the F: drive and having to go to tape to restore.

I'm sorry to put it this way, but..... Will all those questions posed, it's clear that you don't have the skill set to be trying this operation or managing the server disk space. Please call someone that can handle this out of their experience and then watch what they do and ask questions.

This forum is helpful, but it's not a substitute for having experienced hands working on your server and cannot teach you to be a server administrator.

Even if someone else answers your questions, I'd be cautious about wading in with only the knowledge/instructions given to you on a free internet forum and using them to manage your server.

The reason I am asking is that i have not had to do this in the past. This is the first time space has become an issue. I know some RAID controllers will work and some will not. I also know that RAID 5 use to be a problem when trying to expand. I have been a network systems admin for 8 years but mostly in smaller environments. Unfortunately in my position I have to wear many hats and consider myself an IT generalist and do not have the time to specialize in only one field. The reason behind a forum is to ask questions and gain experience from others. Thanks for your valuable insight.

I wasn't trying to be mean. I'm pretty sure you can do everything you want.

Normally, you can just hot-swap in a new drive. Then you have to use the server-raid manager to add the disk into the array after making (marking) it ACTIVE or similar term.

It then takes a while to fold the new disk space into the array.

Then you have to expand the O.S. partition into the new logical drive space with your Operating System tools - which I cannot advise on.

You should have an IMAGE backup of your C: drive and a full data backup of your F: before starting. Best to do it on a weekend or after you have gotten a full backup and you can keep the users away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back