Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM x330 4GB Problem : Does 1.06 fix this ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicer45

IS-IT--Management
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am wondering if any of the IBM technicians can help me. We installed the max ram into our x330 (8654-51Y) servers about 2 months ago. We started to notice some odd NMI problems. I read on a previous thread that this was a major issue with IBM product development.

When it scanned the memory at boot up is only shows 3.7G.

I have loaded the 1.06 bios version, but we saw the same problems and the memory scan at boot was still 3.7. Last night I dropped the servers down to 3GB. Jury is still out on this.

Does anyone have a solution or status report on this issue?

We were using a mix of IBM certified RAM and Crucial CC128M72S4R75.36F 1GB 133MHZ CL3 ECC. Now it is all crucial ram.

Any thoughts apreciated!

Do you have the /pae & /3gb switches in your boot.ini? MS requires it.

Hello,

this isn't really an issue.
Whenever 4GB (or more) of memory is installed, the BIOS will display the total size minus the amount of memory which is being reserved for the PCI, I/O, and other resources.
Each PCI device is allowed to claim some amount of memory resource. BIOS gathers the resource requirements of all the PCI devices installed and reserves the memory for the PCI devices.
If the memory size is less than 4GB, BIOS will display the full amount of memory installed in the system. For any memory amount of 4GB or greater, POST might display less than 4GB of memory depending on what resources have been reserved for PCI devices. The amount of memory displayed will vary depending on the system and configuration.

peace
W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back