Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Thinkpad recovery query

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberspace

Technical User
Aug 19, 2005
GB
I have been creating a company procedure for secure disposal/dontation of laptops

On IBM Thinkpads there is a built in recovey feature which can fully restore the OS and settings etc.

I was just wondering about the exact details of where this is stored? Is it on a hidden/locked partition?

I did a DOD erase of the C drive and the recovery was still available and i'm just curious as to how!

I have known HP built in recovery to totally fail as a result of a DOD wipe so how does the IBM one survive.

More importantly, is there any security issue with that?

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

the recovery info is on a different partition, i used to have a thinkpad, i did a fresh install of xp (from an xp disk) deleted all the partitions on the machine, including the recovery one, and created a single partition on the drive. All the drivers are available from the IBM website, and any future installations can be done from the disk rather than the recovery.

I prefer this method as i think the recovery option puts on a lot of manufacturer rubbish you really can do without.

Yeah I prefer a non-bloated install aswell personally, but the IBM recovery option is pretty decent for a non techy

The recovery partition isn't viewable (at least not by default) from Windows, so I take it that no sensitive data will have been stored there by accident

'When all else fails.......read the manual'

no its not updated, it a total out of the box restore, anything you have since installed or saved is not part of the recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back