Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM ThinkPad 770

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburnham

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
US
I am trying to fix a friends IBM Think Pad 770. I have an internal CD and an external Floppy. I can get the computer to boot from either the CD or the Floppy using the recovery disks but have found no means of reinstalling windows.

I have been unable to properly format the c: drive using the /s parameter.

Any and all help is appreciated.

David

is the cd itself bootable? if the information is worthless on the HDD you can just format W/O the /s switch and use the bootable cd to create the partition and file structure for you.

Yes, the CD is bootable. I am lost as how to use the CD to create the partition and file structure. I also have both windows 95 and 98 versions for distribution with new computers. Can either of these be used to get windows back on this system?

Thanks for your help.
David

Ah Ha, so your using the FDWNC CD's, ok this might be a lost cause. See those disks come with some code installed that hinders users from installing from them again. they are mainly used for installing services on an already functioning system. Can you get your hands on some NON-OEM disks?

Ok i've done a little research and I think i may have found something for you to use. However, I have not tried it but it couldnt hurt you.
to go this site and follow directions for upgrade #1

It might do the trick, but remember your best bet is to get your hands on some non-oem disks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back