Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM ThinkPad 600X

Status
Not open for further replies.

kev04

Technical User
Jul 8, 2004
NZ
I am new here. I have an IBM ThinkPad 600 notebook which has big problems. The first sympton is "system regestray erro" after boot up. I tried to reinstall the OS, but no fix. Then, at on point, it only run 64K and display "ThinkPad" logo on the screen. Now, after I turn on power, only the fan works and no display at all. Is it a BIOS chip problem? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

yes, looks like your registry somehow got corrupted...

your best bet is to get your files backed up and the reformatt the hdd and reinstall your os...

Or you could use the recover cd...

but keep in mind, you will loose all your files, so back them up first...

I did format of hard drive and reinstalled OS but no success. Now it is dead except the fan. So I think the power is OK. I don't know what will happen if BIOS chip goes bad. Can anyone give me a clue?

I did format of hard drive and reinstalled OS but no success " - so it started up!?
take out battery and try with power only.
can you get into bios then?

I tried to turn on the power without battery. But no difference. No display on the screen. Only the fan works. Do you know which key(s) I have to press to get into BIOS? If cpu is good, but the BIOS chip is bad, what will happen on the screen?

the result will be the same, no boot at all.

i cant say i know the key (its a long time ago i worked with a tp 600), but if my memory is right its f2.

try a external screen.
try a bios reset (clear cmos, check manual/ibm support)

On a Tpad T20 you press F1
however check IBM Support site and read the manual
for troubleshooting first,
might be a defunct bios battery that gives you all
those problems, they are supposed to last 3 to 4 years.

ciao, os2power

Thanks. I checked IBM support site. It says press F1 to get into BIOS setup.
I don't know what is a BIOS battery. Do you mean the CMOS battery? I checked its voltage at 2.68V (standard at 3V), should be OK for the CMOS chip.
How to do a BIOS reset?

2.68 means its nearly finished, go and replace it.
to do the reset just unplugg power/battery and cmos battery for an hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back