Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Thinkpad 600e related question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

webfaktor

Technical User
May 22, 2001
Hi - I'm new to maintaining/troubleshootng a computer and have recently inherited an IBM thinkpad 600e / windows 95. The laptop will not reboot - giving me the following error message:

"Invalid system disk.
Replace the disk and then press any key."

My goal is to have the laptop reboot from a windows 98 bootable CD. Pressing F8 when I restart the computer does not work - bringing up error box/message "00301" and offers then the option of running tests or restarting the laptop.

Appreciate any help you can share.

Regards,

WF

You need to figure out what key(s) to press to get into the BIOS. I think it's F1, according to IBM. Hold down the F1 key, and power on the computer to get into the "Easy Setup".
F8 is the Windows key sequence to get a boot menu, not go into BIOS.
Change the boot sequence to boot from CD-ROM first.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Hey Jim - thanks for direction. I have followed advice you've offered - the result being a graphic that asks for me to insert a floppy disk. Some how the computer is not wanting to reboot from the CD. . .

Any thoughts?

Thanks again,

WF

One more thing. . .

I just ran tests on the laptop, result = everything OK except for the systemboard. Message beneath systemboard icon read as follows:

DEV 001
ERR 91
FRU 3610

WF

Check the IBM site.
I have a feeling that DEV 001 is the hard drive, and may need replacement.
Get ahold of a Win98 boot floppy from and boot to that. See if you can fdisk the drive, and possibly load CD-ROM drivers that way.
You can also run a full scandisk from the floppy, and test the drive. It may be recoverable.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Boot again with F1 into Easy-Setup. Run diagnostics on the CD-ROM/DVD. Does it pass diagnostics?

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

I just ran tests on the laptop, result = everything OK except for the systemboard. Message beneath systemboard icon read as follows:

DEV 001
ERR 91
FRU 3610

ive had this error too, by any chance webfaktor? did you figure it out and what was the problem, how did you sort it?

From IBM's support:
Are you using an external keyboard which has a built-in TrackPoint?
Remove the system from the docking station or port replicator, and reboot the system. Is the error cleared?
Remove the external keyboard, if present, and reboot the system. Is the error gone?

Nothing there helps at all (like I really expected it to?)

Suggestions:
Pop the case off, remove and reseat the IDE cable and power cable to the hard drive and other peripherals (floppy/CD-ROM).
Physically inspect the mainboard for cracks/damage.

From Linux newsgroups:
i found out that the problem is related to battery pack.
i fixed mine by adjusting the battery lock and put the battery pack
properly into its place.
if you still get the error i advise you to discharge-recharge battery
pack or replace it.

According to the repair logs at Northern University, it's all got to do with a misaligned battery or dead battery.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

i have this same problem i got rid of the error in the system testing but i still get the message of disk i/o replace the disk and then press any key. but it wont do anything when i press a key and the disk is a floppy i know is good. as the othere guy i came into this laptop. and in boot from cd it looks for the floppy screen. i would appreciate any help on this.

witchdoctor, please make a new thread for this, do no build on others, it will confuse things.
And while you do, give some details.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Hey
I had the exact same problem as you but for me it would not let me install windows 2000. i ran the disgoniastics checks and i got the same errors.

If you get back in the bios where you can run the checks then if you go to the bottom right corner there a little box with a keypad in it if you click on that it runs a keyboard test now if you run a rwst on system bord it will tell what the errors are. they are

Battery voltage to high
Battery tempture to high

If you take out your battery and run it though the external power pack tthen ou should have np trouble from now on.

BUT dont put the battery back in our you will just get the same error message

All this has helped me out BIG time so far. It's seems to be a standard fault. So far I have done the above and formated succesfully -- problem is now I can't reinstall Windows. I can set it up to Boot from CD. And when I sart then Laptop it comes up with the option (Hard Drive Boot or CD Boot) I then choose CD Boot and it just hangs. I can hear the motor start for the CD but nothing happens. I hope someone out ther can help. Thks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back