Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM T30: enabling second memory slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

xp2mac

Programmer
Jun 26, 2007
US
My IBM Thinkpad T30 (2366-QU7) has two memory slots. I cannot get the BIOS or the OS to recognize the chip in the second slot (regardless of whether the two chips are the same size or not). I have enabled the external memory test in the BIOS. I have swapped the chips around. The full memory test does not find any problem (or I don't know how to read the results).

On top of that, I installed a PQI 1GB PC3200 DDR400 in the first slot and it works fine. The manual doesn't say that a 1GB chip in any slot should work, and only mentions that PC2100 chips should be used. (Thanks to Fry's Electronics for the recommendation of the 1GB chip.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like the 2nd slot is bad.
Did you try using memtest86 to check a good RAM module in the 2nd slot?

Memory test does not even recognize that there is a second slot.
As I discovered from another thread, the motherboard for the T30s was deemed defective from the factory. IBM replaced those that were found defective while in warranty. This problem was for this laptop was not discovered for years.

You may want to contact IBM any way if they had a recall they may still help you out.

Life is a big Roleplaying adventure.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back