Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM SCSI and LSI Logic SCSI card and WIN XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcomputer

Technical User
Dec 6, 2002
US
Hi, I have an IBM 18.4 gig 15000 rpm scsi and a LSI Logic single channel PCI SCSI card. I am trying to install win xp on the Hdrive. Here's my problem, I can get the drive to format with the win xp disk and get the O.S. to start the install process, but after win xp copies all files needed for setup and goes through the first "reboot" step, the process starts all over again. The scsi card is set as "7" for a SCSI ID, and the drive I have set to everything but 7. I noticed that when entering the SCSI Bios, the Hdrive is not recognized, only the SCSI card identifies itself. I have a shuttle ak31 MB, I went into the MB BIOS and set to boot from SCSI.. I went to IBM's website and It said to use a Windows boot floppy, tried that, but no Hdrive present was the error. Both the card and drive are 68 pin ultra 160. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated..

Go to these site to view products in question:

The only reasons the hard drive can't be scanned in the scsi bios is lack of an ID# set, or termination. Make sure the scsi bios is set to "boot enabled", the bios boot ID# is "0", the hard drive ID# is "0", and the end of the scsi ribbon has an "active" terminator. All scsi hard drives are assigned ID# 0 if NO jumpers are on the address pins. email me if you need more help.

Hey dick471

I still am unable to get this setup working. The Hdrive is set to ID "0" and the card is set to ID "7". I went into the scsi bios and found no options that looked promising.. I am sure there is just something I am overlooking. I have a scsi cable for "one device", the card is on one end the drive is on the other. What about this termination stuff.. Could the Hdrive not be terminated somehow?? I have tried every ID setting for both the drive and card and still nothing. This is what I have as default: scsi card ID"7" and scis Hdrive ID "0".. Is that right?? Thanks again for your help..

Your ribbon won't work. Most scsi hard drives have a jumper on them to supply termination power, but don't self terminate. You need a ribbon with at least three connectors. One for the host card, the second for the hard drive, and the last (end of cable) for an active or passive terminator. The ribbon you have is for a scsi CD-ROM/RW type device that has self termination. Let me know what connector is on your host/hard drive and If your within reasonable distance, I'll loan you both a ribbon and terminator by mail to get it working. Then you can buy one and return mine. I own 43 scsi hard drives, so I have LOTS of ribbons and stuff!

tpinky: Here is an example of what you need: scsi ribbon Ultra-3/160 (P/N 127-2440), and scsi terminator 68pin w/LVD female (P/N 127-1675) from After seeing these, do a search on the web for there are ribbons with the terminator attached/fixed to the end of the ribbon for a little less cost. Make sure the ribbon is approved for Ultra 160LVD scsi hard drives. LOL; Dick

Dick471

I have a 68pin scsi cable that I can now tell thanks to your help, does not have a terminator on it.. It is approved for 160LVD drives. Although the package says "one device" it has one connection at one end and two connections scrunched up at the other end. There is clearly no terminator on the HD end.. I thought it was wierd at frys that one cable was 34.99 and what I thought was almost the same cable at 19.99. Should of stuck with the 34.99 model, it probably had a terminator. I will just buy the terminator at cyberguys.com. Once again thank you for your help, I will let you know if I get it working within a couple of days.

tpinky: You've got the right ribbon. Just put the single connector on the host card. Then the pair that's REAL close to each other are for the terminator(VERY last connector), and the second one close to the terminator is for the hard drive. Should work perfectly. If you ever buy more hard drives your terminator will be ok, but buy a ribbon for six drives. This is not much more than a 3 device ribbon. It's better to have a V8 and not use the horsepower, than a 4 cylinder, and need the horsepower that doesn't exist!

dick471

Works like a champ.. Two things I have noticed though, maybe you can explan why.. 1. Hdrive runs extremely hot, just in the time installing WinXP. 2.I used PCMark benchmark tool and benchmarked my 60GIG 7200RPM and then my SCSI 15000 RPM, got a higher benchmark on the 7200RPM drive.. Now I was not expecting a hole hell of a lot better, but the SCSI actually scored lower..

Of course when I get my FreeBSD server running in the near future the SCSI will be ideal. I also dont have 64bit PCI slots on the M.B., if that makes a difference.
Well thanks again for your help, talk to you later... tpinky

tpinky: If you ran at 15,000rpm, you'd get hot also! Scsi hard drive do run hotter than ide, and need good cooling. As for your benchmark I can't explain. Doesn't make any sense. Try running about 10 tasks at the same time and see which is faster in benchmark. I know than some IDE hard drives running in Raid can approach the the input/output of scsi, but not a single drive. IDE can't run over 150mbps per spec, and your scsi drive is running at 160mbps if set up correctly ( this has nothing to do with mobo bus speed). I know that my adaptec 2940U2W and 29160 host cards with 11 scsi hard drives, run faster than my WD1200JB 120gb IDE 8mb drive. I use the WD just for storage that I'm not in a hurry for the data. I don't play any games, so I've never tested scsi vs. Ide. LOL Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back