Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM PS/2 Model 70 386 - How do I install DOS??? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisjohns78

Technical User
Aug 13, 2002
AU
I have a IBM Personal System/2 Model 70 386 (type 8570) that I bought for $1 (bargain!). Now all I need to do is install an operating system - when I insert disk 1 of DOS 6.22 the system just ignores it and loads up some sort of 'IBM Basic' operating system. I don't know how to use this system, so any information/links would be very much appreciated. This PC has a 120MB hard disk and 4MB RAM, so will it be suitable for Windows 3.11??? HELP ME!!!!!

Yes, the system should run Win 3.11
Disk 1 of DOS should be bootable, if you can get into the BIOS setup make sure it is set to boot from A: first (or floppy). If this is successful booting from the disk should take you straight into the DOS installation routine. If you can't do this or it does not work boot the system up, insert disk 1 and if you have a command prompt type a:\setup and hit enter. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Ok, I'm being really dumb here, but how do I get into the BIOS on this beast? I've never worked on something this old and during POST there aren't any messages - it just gives me pictures and a couple of numbers referring to the manual, which of course I don't have! Are there any websites that deal with such antique equipment? We're only going to use this machine for running simple DOS programs, so we don't need anything more up to date (and expensive)

Have you tried the delete key, that is the most common, also try all the function keys (F1 etc) and the combinations of Alt with function keys. Failing all that you could try the IBM web site, I doubt very much there will be anything there directly but if you email or message their support people they may be able to help. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Hi chrisjohns78.

That P/S2 system was made with an accompanying "reference diskette" that was used to boot the PC for "setup" purposes.

You will need that diskette to get into CMOS.

It was also made with the BASIC programming language built-in. If there is no boot diskette or bootable Hard Drive, the system would boot straight into the BASIC Shell.

However, you're problem might not lie there.

If the Diskette you're trying to boot with AND the floppy drive are both good, then you should not have a problem booting with it, UNLESS .....

1. CMOS really wants to be setup
2. The boot diskette and/or floppy drive is/are faulty.

Things to check:

Try and confirm the integrity of your boot diskette by trying to boot some other system with it.

Make sure the boot diskette is a high density type (1.44MB)and not the low density type (720KB). The floppy drive will be expecting only the high density type.

Those pictures and numbers are codes hinting about what it wants you to do to it. Heres a site that interprets the codes:

My hunch is that the time and date need to be set in CMOS.
(Please note: The battery might need to be changed too).

It probably does try to boot from your boot diskette, but it really wants to see that "reference diskette" instead.
Not recognising it being present, it boots straight into BASIC.

But you're in luck (assuming the floppy drive and battery are good):

Click on the PS/2 File Library link and download the appropriate reference diskette files. It should explain how to create the reference diskette.

Ok, I've said more than a mouthful.

It's your turn! Good luck!

rohmor

Try using CTRL+ALT+INS Maybe that will get into BIOS If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back