Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM PC Server Configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroelsA

Technical User
May 12, 2002
DK
I have an IBM PC Server 330 8640-PM0 wich is killing me.
When it starts it reaches the ServeRaid ver. 2.80.04 screen (where you can press <ctrl+I> for configuration although i dont).

It reports that:
1. firmware is ver. 2.82.00.
1. the drive configuration test fails.
2. warning: 2 logical drives are offline.
3. 2 logical drives are installed. (what are logical drives)

No disks are available after this. And no SCSI devices are visible in the Adaptec configuration tool ver. 1.26S1 except from device 7 which is the adapter.

The IBM has a bay with room for 6 disks. I have one disk for simplicity.
It does recocnize the SCSI cd-rom. It is useable although its not in the list over SCSI devices, mensioned earlier.

Any help is very much appreciated

Troels Anzie

Sounds like one of two problems....Either someone applied the wrong firmware to the controller(not likely), or you need to configure the array. Erase whatever array is in place(you did not say if this was a used purchase or just a sudden failure)and rebuild the array, choosing a type(0,1,5 if I remember the system correctly) and add in the drives to the array. Check the status, I would suggest looking for the ibm array software vs. the onboard controller configuration.

Your SCSI Backplane & SCSI CDRom are attached to the Integrated ServeRAID controller & not the Adaptec Controller. You'll need to acquire the ServeRAID Configuration Diskette version 3.50C in order to configure your Drive(s) in a RAID array. The logical drives mentioned are probably from an old Array configured on the ServeRAID controller. You'll need to delete your current RAID configuration & start anew.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back