Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Netfinity 3500 M20 IBM Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickel0733

Technical User
May 31, 2005
CA
I have an IBM Netfinity 3500 M20 server. I can't get it to post with a stick of 256MB PC133 ECC RAM. I bought it at an auction last year and just started to play with it. I don't know the switch board settings and if they've been messed with other than me trying to find a correct setting so the system will post.
I have an intel P3 - 733Mhz CPU in it with the terminator CPU. If I stick in a stick of NON-ECC RAM I get the 3x3x3 beep error codes, when I stick in the ECC RAM I get nothing, no error codes or beeps.
I've searched the net as far as I can think of going and still can't find any information about the switch settings.
I'm getting frustrated with this thing.
I want the system for the onboard raid controller but am at my witts end with it.
If anyone out there knows anything about these things please, please contact me ASAP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you know the settings for the switch settings or as I know them to be called as "Dip Switch" settings...

Maybe you know a thing or two about the IBM Netfinity 3500 M20 server, I don't!

I don't think its the RAM, and I've tried a different ATX power supply with the proper motherboard connection and its not the power supply. The CPU works on different motherboards so its not that.
What else could it be, might the motherboard be toast?

Much appreciated
Nickel0733

Someone might correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand it's the type of memory configuration the server uses, how data is stored and accessed in memory. Both scenarios have about the same average latency times (you know when you buy a dimm and it says CL2 or CL3, CL2 has the faster cycle time, CL3 slower), while in the noninterleaved organization data is stored in single 'columns' while interleaved is stored in multiple columns, making read time shorter when a whole block of info is accessed; but with noninterlaced it's better for dealing with queued (data waiting processing) requests of data.

Look on your Dimm...does it say registered? because that is what you need. standard ddr,and ecc ddr will not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back