Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Magstar 3590 and compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomik

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2001
NL
Can anybody help me with this one?
We are using an IBM Magstar 3590 tape robot for our back-up 's. With Legato 5.5 we could store about 20 GB per tape and now with version 6.0.2 installed suddenly the physical end of tape is reached at 10 GB. Since these tapes can store 10GB uncompressed or 20 GB compressed, it seems logic that somehow compression (which is set in a directive) doen't take place in the new situation. As far as I know all settings are the same as before.
What can cause this problem? Is it perhaps a driverproblem?
Has anybody noticed this before?
Any help would be appreciated.

thnx in advance,

Remco van Zeist
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Are you using any hardware compression? Use 6.1.1 of Networker instead of 6.0.2.

Update-info: We already tried to set the NT environment variable NSR_DEV_BLOCK_SIZE_3590 to 128 since it seems to have something to do with the blocksize of the tapes.
But this setting doesn't seem to have any effect at all. The blocksize still is 64Kb.

Just remove the compression directive in your save set.
If you backup NT stuff....check NT without compression. The hardware compression will be use instead of the software one's.

I will try it, but that doesn't explain why it has worked before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back