Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM LTO 2 Drive not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

splicerguy

IS-IT--Management
Jul 6, 2005
CA
I've got an IBM HH LTO 2 tape drive installed in my IBM server running Windows 2003 R2. Device drivers for both the SCSI controller and the tape drive are the latest and appear to be "working."

When I set up Backup Exec 9.1 Rev 4691, it says "Backup Exec is unable to recognize the following device. The media for this device will need to be specified before it can be used." It shows a bunch of ***, so I select LTO from the drop-down list, but when I go to do anything (erase, backup, etc) I get an error saying "Invalid Physical Volume Library Argument"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get some backups done soon :(

Is the drive on a raid controller or standalone scsi?

Standalone: Adaptec SCSI CARD 29320ALP - Ultra320

Try lowering the transfer rate down to 160mb/min in the 29320 card. Lower the it on the SCSI id the drive it assigned to.
By default its 320mb/min and its possible its talking to the drive to fast

Lowering the transfer didn't help.

When I try a backup from NTBackup I get two errors in Event Log:

"The drive \Device\SCSI\adpu3201 did not respond within the timeout period"

"Library IBM HH LTO Gen 2 SCSI Sequential Device failed to write a free media label on media 3 because an I/O error occured while writing the label."

I'm using approved FUJIFILM tapes and have tried several different tapes, but the problem persists.

Are there error in system log?
If you seeing this error "The drive \Device\SCSI\adpu3201 did not respond within the timeout period"
"

In the system log then contact the hardware vendor or adaptec.

Does the enquiry string appear correctly inthe BIOS of the HBA? CTRL-A to enter.
Be sure cabling and terminator is good (Ultra-3) and that you do not have bent/broken pin on any connector

Hi,

I had the exact same problem yesterday, when I replaced a DDS4 with a AIT4 drive.

1. First off download latest the VERITAS drivers, it wont
work with windows drivers.

2. Then run the backup exec assistant / Confirm Device
Avaiablity and on the first screen choose "Remove all
veritas drivers".

3. Reboot server then install the latest Veritas drivers,
you downloaded in step 1.

4. Rerun the bacup exec assistant / Confirm Device
Avaiablity, and let it detect the device and install
the drivers.

5. Now rerun exec assistant / Confirm Device
Avaiablity to detect and install appropiate drivers.

Cheers,

Paul

If aint broken, dont try n fix it!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back