Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM/Lenovo laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozette

MIS
Apr 1, 1999
US
I'm wanting to buy a new laptop. So far have looked at Dell, HP and now IBM. I can get a system I'd like for almost HALF the cost if I go with Lenovo (Thinkpad T61). Seems too good to be true. Anyone have any advice about Lenovo in general? I can post the specs of the system if that would help.
Thanks
Boze

Funny you should ask about Lenovo. Just had five more delivered after having 15 during July. Not the same model, these are 3000 N200's. Very nice laptops. Good build quality & feel robust.
We have recently had some Lenovo desktops delivered & they are just as good, apart from one that had a problem. I managed to get that sorted though.
I think we have had about 25 Lenovo laptops in the past year & found them to be very good. Had some HP's that are not too bad, but I prefer the Lenovo's.
I would be inclined to remove most of their management software & use msconfig to stop so much from starting up during the system boot. I would say the same for all machines that are new though.

My former company has used IBM/Lenovo laptops of various models for 4 years and were very satified with them. I just bough a R60 laptop on Ebay for myself foe $263, It had XP Pro installed. It looks brand new and works great.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

I've bought two this year, besides the bloatware they're good machines. takes care of the problem in a few seconds.

I also bought both machines with XP and would highly recommend sticking w/ XP (you get an upgrade coupon) especially if you work in a business environmnet. Vista does not support printers, scanners and othe peripherals more than a few years old nor does it work with my VPN (SonicWALL) or my wife's (Citrix). Also XP is FAST on these machines.

The last one I bought was absolutely bottom-of-the-line ($799) Core 2 Duo 1.5 but it came equipped with a single 1GB stick of RAM (good for upgrading) and a 160 GB HDD. The only problem was I bought it from NewEgg. It seems they ship these through ABS computers in NJ, and the packaging was worse than terrible. I know shipping companies are brutal with things and pack accordingly...they did not.

It arrived in one of those large clumsy boxes that are hard to handle and prone to tossing and kicking, a way-too-big, odd-size box that had the laptop box in contact with the box floor with lots of room to move about + about 3 sheets of wadded-up paper on top, the box was so crushed and smashed I should not have accepted it. I did, there was a large ding on the laptop box itself.

When my wife gleefully opened it for the first time, plugged it in, hit the power power button...nothing. We double-checked all the connections, still nothing. It is so hard to get my wife excited about tech, this really sucked. She turned and walked away, I ran it to the office where I plugged it into an external monitor only to watch it boot loop. DOA in two ways.

Newegg tells me it's a 2-3 week deal, it's their option to repair, send back to the manufacturer for repair, or replace. No refunds, no cross-shipping, even with payment. I don't want a wrecked repaired laptop! It's like your new car rolls off the car carrier and gets totaled, they fix it and it's still your new car! NO!!!!!!!!!

After some discussion with Newegg reps they assured me they would replace it, but that means another possibly-disastrous trip from NJ to Texas. If the box is damaged I will refuse it. I also noted the serial # and wrote "DOA" all over the box...I better not get the same laptop!

All of this is to make the point to consider buying delicate and expensive items like this locally if possible, you may pay a little bit more but you have the option of return for replacement plus you are contributing to the local economy.

Tony

Thank you all for your info. I think I'll take the plunge! Good idea about checking locally, Tony. I'll call around instead of just automatically ordering online.

Boze

The one I bought on Ebay was one of the best packed items I ever got.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back