Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Laptop I series Keeps rebooting itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmpbmp1975

Technical User
Sep 8, 2003
CA
Hi All,
I have a IBM thinkpad I Series, 2611-410 type. The other day I reinstalled win 98 for problomatic reasons and ever since then the PC while working on it just goes black and it starts booting up again on its own, it does not do a shutdown just starts up like it went dead and it is bringing itself back up.

Anyone got any ideas what I can look for.

Thanks in advance

The problomatic reasons for reinstalling would be useful (eg, may indicate a hardware problem, that's just manifesting itself differently in the new install).

btw - was it a clean install of 98?

Yes a clean install of win 98 and i notice i cant get her web cam to work either,
i have reinstalled win 98 twice and always same problems, the camera detects but image stays black, it works on my pc, my web cam dont work on hers either, but that isnt a big deal, i wanna try to fix the reboot problem

This may not be the case for you, but it might help.

I ran across a computer that was rebooting itself. Come to find out, the capacitors on the MB was leaking. I know you have a laptop but you might want to check into it.

Hi guys an update on this problem. It seems that the different network card that I put the laptop was causing the problem. It originally had a Dlink PCMCIA card that needed a paper clip to hold the cable in place. So I replaced it with my old 3com ehternet card and reimaged. Well the other day I put the original card back in and no more reboots. I thought it was maybe driver area to i did a fresh format with the new card only and same thing. I think it may be a hardware compatibility issue with her IBM since I used the card on my old Umax laptop with win 98.

Thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back