Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM HTTP Server talking to a WebSphere machine on AIX 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrissypchy

Programmer
Jun 23, 2003
US
Hello Everyone,
I'm kind of new to this so forgive me if this seems basic:
I have a Windows 2000 machine running IBM HTTP Server 1.3.26. I need it to access and communicate with WebSphere on an AIX box (Both version 5). I need to do this via a browser. I have been trying to do it by typing the browser:
of windows machine/<AIXMachine>:9080/PlantsByWebSphere/

I get Forbidden access when I do this. Can anyone give me some insight into this? I would GREATLY appreciate it.

-Chrissy

I assume that both the HTTP Server and WebSphere are running on the Windows machine.

I have never used either on Windows but used them extensively on AIX for 4 years and the log files for WebSphere were under WEBSPHERE_ROOT/logs (in our case /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/logs) and you would want to look for the tracefile and any file that has stderr and stdout in the file name. The tracefile is most useful on startup of WebSphere, and the other files will log info on a running basis; and there will be a stderr and stdout file for each servlet that is running on your server.

As far as your error, I wonder about your URL that you typed to access the application. Instead, try the IP address or hostname of the webserver machine followed by the port name, then the location of the servlet Plants...

For example:

You need to know the IP address and port number of the web server and also the location of the app which it seems is Plants...

I assume that you started WebSphere on the AIX box with startupServer.sh and you can start the administration client for WebSphere by typing adminclient.sh. Both are in /usr/WebSphere/AppServer/bin.

You can test WebSphere by typing (if the servlet snoop is running):
Where appserver_name is the name of the machine running WebSphere.

I think your problem was that you just had too many servers in your original URL.

Hi Flatwater,

you were right about me having too many servers in the URL. I also had to edit the plugin file in IBM HTTP Server to call the AIX machine and not &quot;localhost&quot; which is the default. I also had to edit another config file on the IBM side. The snoop servlet worked and so did the hello. Thank you for responding Flatwater!!!!!!!

-Chrissy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back