Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ibm HD Password missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

krasmussen2

Technical User
Jun 3, 2004
DK
I have got a 6.4 gb harddisk from a Dell latitude CPIa 366
but it have a masterpassword, Someone who know how to remove this so i can use that disk. Information on HD are no importend.

That's going to be a tough nut to crack.
The PW is located on the HD's firmware, and cannot be erased without the use of some expensive hardware, like that which a professional uses.
And the cost involved in having a professional remove it is probably more than the cost of a new and larger HD.
So suggest that you go the latter route if you need another HD.

I work with computer every day, and I know there be some software to use, I just don't know how to get it.

Isn't there some kind of reset functionality on it?
I couldn't find an IBM HD password cracker, although I'd be surprised if it doesn't exist.
A lot of stuff that can be password-protected can be unlocked through the use of factory preset passwords (BIOS, routers, ...) - maybe you can search for a generic password like that?

----
Alas, no answer, but hopefully usefull info.

Peace,

Yellow

I have not taken time to read carefully through all this info-I think some purchase is required in this process.

Approx 6 months ago, this was the only thing I could find besides going to IBM, data recovery companies, a guy in the UK no longer doing recovery, very expensive forensic hardware and software, and lots of general gripe threads-- after approx 4-6 hours of searching.

(I think it's quite likely appollo got a tool, but obtaining it was based on a personal relationship which is not available to most of us.)

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

From what I have read on that site, it is unlikely such a tool exists - mostly because it seems to be stored in so many ways (on the HD, in the EEPROM, ...). Even more: it looks pretty bad for your HD :s

Peace,

Yellow

This password is stored in Hd chip, it have been in a Dell latitude cpi/a 366, now it have bad trak 0 when i put it in an other machine as slave, but lock bios as master.

I dont need data, just format for other use, it's a second hand machine from a company. Not hot!!!!!!!

In case you're interested in a reading project, here is the thread I mentioned earlier.

For those not interested in a reading project, this gem showed up in a quick scan:

"magnets (10:41am EST Mon Feb 09 2004)
putting magnets on my drive killed it entirely. it no longer powers on at all.

i guess this is not the way to try to get rid of the password. - by n/a"

-------------------------------------
It's 10 O'Clock ( somewhere! ).
Are your registry and data backed up?

Have you tried the xbox hdd unlocker. Don't know if it will work but it's worth a try

There is a "debug" program that puts the hard drive back to factory original condition. This program TOTALLY wipes everything from the drive. Use only if desperate!

I have the same situation with a Seagate drive. I have heard about factory set master passwords but haven't been able to find one for mine. I also don't care about the data, would be nice just to be able to use the drive.

micker377 - where can you get this debug program from?

happydownloader - the xbox hdd unlocker won't work because it only unlocks the drive if you have the password (I've already tried it).

micker377, you write about some debug program I can use for reset, don't care about data. Are you able to tell me a little more about that. How to get it, use it and what to write to HD. Please I need that disk.

Here's a link to instructions for the MS DOS debug command ...
The boot disk create program is Win95, I would imagine that debug will be on a later windies boot disk as well.
It seems to be a low level format so I don't think it will work because the hard drive firmware is denying write access to the disk.
krasmussen2 it might be worth a try, if you do try it let us know how you get on.

I have tryet that debug, but it did not funktion. HD is still locket whit masterpassword. i think it is storred in a chip in HD, because it´s a part off ata standard.
I still need to restore that disk. Any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back