Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM DS8000 vs EVA5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

grshpr

MIS
Aug 27, 2002
US
Looking for some input. We are currently an HP EVA5000 shop, but looking at the DS8300 as a new disk array due to growth. I have a couple of questions for anyone who may have a DS8000 series Disk Array.

1. How is data spead out on the disks in the DS8300?

In our EVA, a "vDisk" presented to a server is spread across all of the disks in a disk group, in our case 240 disks as we have a fully loaded EVA.

2. Has anyone had issues with their DS?

We have had very solid performance out of our EVA, and I am very reluctant to switch to something new, but some of the added benefits of the DS8000 line,

3. What about the SVC? Has anyone implemented this in their shop? How easy was it to install? Was a configuration change required to your servers in order for them to see their disks at the time of installation? (Did you have to update Drivers when the SVC was put in-line to your existing storage?)

4. If you had a chance to purchase a Disk Array solution again, what would you do different?

I have lot of times the performance issue when I run the J2EE application on SUNE10K server. We are planning to upgrade and going for new server. we have almost 300MM records for most of the tables and we are looking for supercomputer.
Could you please let me know if you have any idea about CRAY XD1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back