Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM Director 4.1 won't start after MS update

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeerDog

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
CA

Hi all,

I ran MS update last night on my Director server and everything seemed fine, but this morning I realized that the Director Service won’t start. The event viewer comes up with the following error:

Unhandled JVM Exception
Application: ‘TWGServer (TWGVersion 4.10 2003-04-03 build id 258)
Thread Name: TWGServer
Thread Group: ServiceThreadGroup
Exception Type: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Stack Trace: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

The updates I installed were:
KB839645
KB841872
KB841873
KB842526
KB840315
KB870669
KB823353

I uninstalled all the updates using add/remove programs but Director is still throwing the same error.

Anybody else have a problem similar to this or any ideas on how to fix it? I tried looking through IBM's website, but their knowledge base sucks.

Thanks

Keep your MS Updates, they're important. However, your IBM Director code is several version downlevel. Many fixes for JAVA were integrated into IBM Director v4.11 & v4.12 (the current version). Start there.

I am getting the same error message and am running IBM Director 4.12. Any suggestions?

I ended up having to uninstall director, delete the old directory in Program Files and do a clean install of 4.12. It worked after that but I had to recreate all my groups and action plans.

Not exactly an elegant solution, but it worked.

Try the following:

1. Open Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy
2. Open Local Policies
3. Open Security Options.
4. Change the setting for the following policy to Enabled.
Shutdown: Allow system to be shutdown without having to log on
5. Close the Local Security Settings.
6. Reboot the machine.

MS changed how local security works.

Pls excuse my ignorance, but I fail to see how enabling system shutdown without logging on will fix an out-of-memory problem with IBM Director.
Sure you have the right thread? ;o)

I cannot even entertain that solution. If this is the only way to fix the problem (which still does not make any sense to me), then I might as well scrap Director. From a security standpoint, I cannot allow servers to be shutdown without being logged into first.

First, if you're getting JVM Exceptions with IBM Director v4.12, there may be something wrong with your installation, since these issues were corrected in v4.12. Was your installation a new install or an upgrade? If an upgrade, from what version and how was the upgrade performed?

Second, the solution I provided is correct for a different problem you will have once you apply all of MS's Security Updates. You'll know when you get there.

Third, if you are looking at this from a security standpoint, you're running the wrong OS (hence the mere existence of the multitude of security updates). IBM Director is quite a useful Systems Management tool and can do tremendous things when configured and used appropriately, but by virtue of being a client-server application, it requires access to managed systems through the network. It is NOT an inherent security risk, but it cannot compensate for the lack of physical security on your network. Since this functionality worked before the change in MS's security, but not after, it should indicate to you that the "hole" always existed until recently when it was "fixed". Did you have any problems before the release of this security update of servers being shut down?

We have the same issue with director
Event Type: Error
Event Source: TWGServer
Event Category: Java Exception
Event ID: 100
Date: 3/19/2005
Time: 1:44:28 AM
User: N/A
Computer: DIRECTOR
Description:
Unhandled JVM Exception
Application: 'TWGServer (TWGVersion 4.21 2005-02-01 build id 561)'
Thread Name: TWGServer
Thread Group: ServiceThreadGroup
Exception Type: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Stack Trace: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

I tried the trick with shutdown security with no effect. We have a call open with IBM. I'll post the fix when they provide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back