Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM 760EL Boot Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiteone

Technical User
Jul 16, 2002
US
I recently installed WINXP on my IBM 760EL and now it won't boot past the IBM THINKPAD welcome screen. I think I maxed out the mem or something. I tried to get to the HD and/or battery but don't know how to get past the keyboard. Someone HELP!!PLEASE!!!

Just in regard to lifting the keyboard, should you ever need to... If I remember correctly, push the sliding catches in the opposite direction to when opening the laptop lid, and then flip the keyboard up from the front. The battery and HD are easily got at then. Sorry I can't help with the XP issue.

Well, it could be a BIOS problem. IBM only has BIOS updates for the 760EL that support Win2000 - WinXP support does not seem to be listed yet. Some other models do indeed have BIOS updates to add XP support, so it may be somewhat reasonable to assume that without the BIOS update for XP it just might not run.

Did you install XP with NTFS? Try installing a FAT partition - NTFS has lots of compatibility issues, and on your machine a big one is probably that the BIOS is looking for a hibernation file, which can ONLY exist on FAT partitions (this is a common problem with almost all laptops). You can try turning off Safe Suspend in the BIOS, which may or may not help. Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back