Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM 390X

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben324

IS-IT--Management
Oct 22, 2002
US
Okay, kind of a long story. My father worked for a company that used IBM machines. It was bought by a company that is all Dell, so the first thing they did was sell all of the IBMs to the employees. He bought an IBM 390X notebook.

It worked great until it was dropped. Even then, the only bad part was the hard drive. I had an extra one so I popped it in. Should have worked fine, right? Well, this little icon asking for a Supervisor Password came up on bootup. Since this was assigned by the IT department of a company that no longer exists, I could not track it down. After doing a fair amount of research, I discovered that it could not be reset. So, I swapped out the motherboard.

Everything appears to be hooked up correctly. When I power it up, the power light comes on (none of the other one's do), the drives spin, but the display is blank. Do you have any advice

Nevermind. The problem appears to have corrected itself. It's functioning now. I have no idea what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back