Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM 3590 OEM/Engineer functions password protected !? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelDane

Technical User
Jan 17, 2007
DK
Hi,

I have a couple of 3590 drives with loader, where the OEM and Engineer functions are passwordprotected, how do I clear these, since i don't know and can't find the old passwords.

I think they have been used with some type of storage controller or the like, but now they are stand-alone.

Any ideas how to work this ?
ponder.gif

Kind regards,
Michael Malmgaard - IBM Tech.
Dane Computer, Denmark

Password protected? I think you just need to pop the operator panel out of its bracket and press the button with the small wrench on it to change the drive to CE mode.
Hope this helps!
Best regards,
Tim

Hi Timwah,

Thank's for your reply, I've already detached the OP from the base, because you have to push the wrench button to get to the CE offline functions. The problem is that when I want to use either engineer or OEM funtions to test the drive, the OP asks for a password.
For the engineering settings it's a 5 digit pass, and for OEM it's 3 digits. I've tried the obvious admin / adm and so on, but no luck.
What I thinks is the caser is that the to 3590's have been part of a storage-pool adn hence controlled by a central controller (Several options come to mind).
I've read in some of the documentation, that you can password protect your tape-library/storage pool, and the information is written to the VPD on each drive, so I think that's what is causing the password request, BUT there's got to be a way to disable/reset the passwords on each drive ?!
I've never seen this before, and I've handled quite a few of these 3590's.

Kind regards,
Dane Computer, Denmark

Hi Michael,
Interesting problem. I don't think I've seen that before.
I'll check with an IBM engineer I know and get back to you.
Best regards,
Tim
Enterprise Technical

Hi Tim,

I agree, it's a very interesting problem. Thank's for asking your contact ! Hope he's got an idea :)

Kind regards,
Dane Computer, Denmark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back