Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IBM 326m does not start correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

richx326

Programmer
Apr 5, 2010
ES
Hello, I recently purchased an IBM eServer 326m 7969PSQ, the matter is that: the first time I turn it on, turn on the fans but does not respond, I have to turn it off and on again to respond. If I turn off the server, wait 5 minutes and try on again, same thing happens. I searched through the manuals, but no answer. Who sold me the server tells me that this is a normal operation, but i don't think so, can anyone tell me if this is because of the bad position of the jumpers, if I have to change something in the bios, or just that the server is damaged

Thanks for everythin

It's possible that you have a faulty server. If you are not hearing any beeps at power on, you may have a bad cpu or motherboard.If you're hearing beeps then note the code.. I would assume that it would be a memory fault code if you are hearing the beepsbut, depending on the pattern you hear, it could be something else. I'm assuming that you have stripped out all the pci cards and tried to boot. If it is a single processor with a fan, then make sure the fan not the issue.
If you are not comfortable diving into the server, you should ask someone to just look the machine over for you.

Greetings,
I also recently installed a 326m server with the same experience. When you first plug in AC power, the fans activate then stop. (The server is not 'ON') You must depress the 0/1 recessed power button to 'start' the server. It will then go through POST and boot. I do not know if this is a design 'enhancement' or not, but I have had the same experience with other server and desktop motherboards whose cases did not have a 0/1 switch on their power supply as well as the 0/1 power switch.

On most newer IBM servers it can take 20-30 seconds for the power control button to become active. This is seen as a fast flash of the power led, once it goes to a slow flash, the power switch can be pushed for a normal post. This is to allow the baseboard management processor to start up and start monitoring the server.

I know this is normal, but what happens to me is when I run it, it really does not turn on completely, just turn on the fans, so you can spend hours. But if I turn it off and back on, this turn on correctly

That is not normal, I would suspect either a system board or vrm issue. Would need more info, and what you have tried to troubleshoot. take out second cpu if there is one, reduce memory to 2 dimms, in the correct slots. and remove all adapters. Have you looked at the system board to see if there are any bulging, or leaking capacitors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back