Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ibm 300pl aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrgghhh!!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottian

Programmer
Jul 3, 2003
GB
ive just picked up an ibm 300pl with pentium 2 processor. it was runing win95 so i decided to upgrade to 98. but thats where the trouble started. it took me all day to get it to format the hard drive then all night to get it to recognise it. now im trying to install 98 and it wont give me the option of booting from the cd. ive tried every way i can think of, but no luck. it just goes to dos. my last thoughts were that it wont accept win 98. ive done a search on the web and found ibm 300pl's with win98 installed. so it must be possible.... but i cant get it// can anyone help me out

PLEASE

Be ALERT - Your country needs Lerts

dunno;
follow the links?
Check IBM's site and google
Also - your laptop may NOT even be hardware compatable for XP, and at the least, you'd need a BIOS update (if possible) - so if indeed your system employs this IML type BIOS and Diagnostics partition (or other IBM specific stuff) - perhaps IBM has, something similar to compaq's "Softpaqs" and "ROMpaqs" from which updates can be made.

A 40GB drive will need either a BIOS update for support for full size - or the HDD manu will have a Drive Overlay utility to help recognize it - you could also consider Partition Magic or others.

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back