Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

iBGP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

paublo

ISP
Sep 14, 2006
US

Heres how the network is setup.

Router A (customer) which connects to router B (my router) . Router B is connection to router C (my 2nd router) over iBGP.

My BGP customer advertises 5 routes. The router directly connected to my customer’s bgp router (Router A) shows all 5 routes when I do a (sh ip bgp sum).
Router C (my 2nd router iBGP) only shows these 5 router when I type “show ip bgp sum” for about a 1:15 to 1:30 minutes then the routes disappear from State/PfxRcd.

When I do a show ip bgp on router B for one of the received routes from router A (cust router) it’s says:

Paths: (2 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
Multipath: iBGP
Not advertised to any peer

The second best route being from my customer (router A) and the 1st best route being from Router C (my second iBGP router)

Now on Router C, where I’m confused when I do show ip bgp for the same route I see.

Paths: (2 available, best #1, table Default-IP-Routing-Table)
Advertised to update-groups:

Both routes being from my two up streams on that router.

My confusion is when I do a show ip bgp sum <router B’s neighbor address> I see 5 routes under State/PfxRcd then after a minute or two they disappear.

Is this normal ibgp behavior? Are the router listed under State/PfxRcd only routes that are inserted in the routing table?

How is router b and c connected?

Are there any route-maps or prefix-lists associated w/ either router b or c?

b and c are connected vi ethernet. what ended up happening is router b see's the advertised routes from router A. when router B advertises that to its ibgp neighbor, router C, that router will display the received prefixes for 2 min or so then removing them.

looking more into this i think what is happening is normal bgp behavior. when i looked at router B the best path to the advertised networks from router A, where through another upstream and then through router A.

When looking at router B the best 2 paths where through my customers upstreams. Since the 2 best routes are not through router B, the routes get removed in sh ip bgp sum on router c.

Your customer (router a) is connected via eBGP correct?

try to debug ip bgp keepalives on C. What are your bgp timers? on both routers.

baddos, that is correct.

i think what im seeing a normal igp behavior, because router C is not using the routes received from router B when you do a sh ip bgp on router you will not the receives prefixes once router C recalculates the best 2 routes, which in this case do not come from router B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back