Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IAS stops immediately after starting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkshireman2

Programmer
Jan 21, 2005
CA
We have a Windows 2003 server R2 enterprise x64- the sole server with all services running on it.
IAS will not keep running- if I start it it stops immediately and the event log shows :

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7023
Date: 1/9/2011
Time: 11:07:00 AM
User: N/A
Computer: 'server name'
Description:
The Internet Authentication Service service terminated with the following error:
Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network
address/port) is normally permitted.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

I checked the IAS port reservations in the registry as suggested by some other threads, (including Microsoft's own "solution"), but it already has those ports. I have restarted the server many times since then.

I tried stopping DNS and then tried to start IAS, but it still stops again.

I wanted to used IAS for a Sonicwall VPN authorisation but it just won't work. Sonicwall's tech tried to set up our Sonicwall vpn but he couldn't figure out why IAS was stopped.

Any ideas?

Yorkshireman2

Have you tried to re-register the vbscript.dll?
regsvr32 vbscript.dll

You can use netstat to see if something is already listening on the ports you are trying to use.

netstat -ano

will list all of the ports and the pid of the process that owns the connection.

I don't understand the link between RRAS, vbscript.dll and the problem with IAS but I'll check these tomorrow.

Yorkshireman2

OK- yes RRAS is installed- we use it for management to connect remotely by VPN.

VBSCRIPT.DLL is in many places on the server- which one are you concerned about and why?
A search revealed it in ie7, ie8, windows\system32,windows\SysWOW64, windows\system32\dllcache, plus many sp folders.

I tried netstat but the list output does NOT contain the ports used in our IAS for authentication or accounting.

Strangely enough, I see some event entries like this..

Event Type: Information
Event Source: IAS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5050
Date: 1/13/2011
Time: 10:41:18 AM
User: N/A
Computer: server name
Description:
A LDAP connection with domain controller servername.DOMAIN NAME for domain DOMAINNAME is established.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at ------------------------------------------
This seems to be coming from IAS, does it not?
So why does the IAS service always show it is stopped and that it stops immediately with the error event when you try to start it?

I've read somewhere that using RRAS and IAS on the same server doesn't work. Can't seem to find the article I was reading about that.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back