Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IAO (Intel Alert Originator) errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

yizhar

MIS
Sep 1, 2001
IL
HI.

NT4SP6a single server, with NAVCE 7.5 (7.50.846) installed and running, and about 15 Win9x clients, small network with single TCP/IP subnet.

IAO.EXE is failing and popups Dr Watson messages on the server. This happens almost every time I try to start the Intel Alert Originator after several minutes.

I will also search the web for this error, but if you know the cause and fix for that then please tell me.

Thanks
Yizhar Hurwitz

I found this problem with my Win2K server as well.

Apparently, symantec has information on this (although limited). They state:

Crashes and Hangs in Intel Alert Originator (IAO) Service
Symptom: When the IAO Alert database file (IAOLOG.dat) becomes truncated, the IAO service will crash or hang when starting up. Sometimes the IAO service will attempt to restart every 5 minutes (and fail each time), filling the NT Event Log with errors.
Resolution: Intel has corrected their code to handle truncated log files - if any part of an event is not found, ignore the entire event record. This prevents hangs and crashes (but because the log was truncated, alert event information was lost).

I have disabled Intel Alert Originator from my start up (changed it to MANUAL instead of AUTOMATIC) and it looks like it is working. I used to wait 45 minutes from the Admin sign on screen to get to my icons on my desktop (believe it!!!). Now it takes me 28 seconds... Just because I stopped the IAO.EXE from running automatically.

This is misleading because IAO does not show much usage in the TASKMGR.EXE, however, my server hard drive was going NUTS (constantly working overtime). I tend to agree with Symantec in that the IAO database is truncated and causing DISK I/O hell from IAO. Try manual for start up options for Intel Alert Originator. Don't really know what IAO does but it looks like it is a part of NAVCE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back