Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2050 won't dhcp, i2002/i2004 are fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuanpicto

Programmer
May 27, 2005
GB
Hi

We have traditionally used i2002/i2004 and are now trying to use an i2050 for our mobile users. We cannot get the i2050's to communicate with the pbx at all. We have tried using dhcp and we get the error "dhcp server not available" we have tried hardcoding the ip of the pbx and just get server unreachable.

cant see any ports being blocked by isa server firewall, windows firewall is disabled. We cannot ping our communication server ip but can ping every i2002/i2004 phone in the building.

Am pretty much stuck now and dont know what else to try, any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Shaun

I am assuming that your mobile users are using a VPN to get back to the network the switch is on. You have to figure out why you can not ping your communication server. Do a tracert from the i2050 machine to determine where the ping is stopping.

Thanks, the tracert stopped at the Switch address. Doesnt go any further than this. So I am assuming that we must have a setting on our switch disabling access? The softphone is on my laptop which is on the internal workstation network range 10.0.0.1 - 10.0.0.255

The phones run on the range 10.2.1.1 - 10.2.1.255, the switch address is 10.2.1.1 and the pbx address is 10.2.1.10

All subnet masks are the same.

i will be trying the VPN access later on tonight.

I have spoken to our provider and they have said the system we have has been set up so that the pc's are on one vlan and the phones on another. They want to come in and charge us to change it.

Is this an easy procedure to do or would it be best to suck the cost, even though they set it up like this in the first place.

In my opinion it makes sense to have all of the ip phones on their own vlan. If the end result is to have the soft phones work via VPN then the laptop testing you are doing is not really helping you. Without really understanding your network it is difficult to determine the best way to resolve your issue and how easy or difficult that would be to implement. The main issue you are probably having is that you have a layer 2 switch with two different segments (10.0.0.x & 10.2.1.x) on it. If this is a true statement then I do not know of a way for you to get them to talk to each other. The bottom line is that through your VPN you are going to have to be able to get to the 10.2.1.x network.

Right seems we have fixed it basically when the providers set the pbx up they set the vpim id to the telephone lan rather than the data lan so the computers couldnt contact the pbx. Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back