Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2050 softphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

texan01

Technical User
Mar 3, 2005
US
I know this has probably been asked but I am trying to install an i2050 softphone. I have downlaoded ip key codes and set my ip inforamtion to the correct ip address along with port number 7000. The question I have is if I am using an exteranl DHCP server do I set my BCM dhcp to disabled, automatic, ip phones only, or all devices. If I change this setting is a reboot required. Thanks.

If you have a server giving out DHCP then Disable the BCM dhcp. no reboot required.

I tried that, it didn't help. Phone says can not locate DHCP server or something like that. Could there network be blocking it?

Where is this setting your trying to change, I never touched anything other then chaging the IP and port to 7000 and mine worked fine.

I think it's under DHCP settings. It asks for what type of DHCP server. Not exactly sure cause I am not looking at it right now. Will work on it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Quote by texan01
"I think it's under DHCP settings. It asks for what type of DHCP server. Not exactly sure cause I am not looking at it right now. Will work on it again tomorrow. Thanks for the help. "

Mine is set for disabled

If you use an external DHCP, then keep the BCM's dhcp disabled.

For your i2050, you could try to just manually assign an IP address within the range of their network. You could get this from an IT administrator.

You could try to see if you can ping their dhcp server from the computer in question.
ipconfig /all will display the dhcp server's address.

Is the computer even using dhcp??? It would be good to confirm that immediately.

I dont beleive the i2050 uses partial/full DHCP to get the BCM info, I think thats only on the hard phones. To setup the server info you should goto start-programs-nortel-i2050 phone-Configuration Tool. In that tool you set the BCM IP address and server type (BCM)

If trying to do DHCP, you need to make sure you have the scope options built on the DHCP server.

I've never tried that with an i2050, not sure if it even works, but the option is there. Do as nstantin suggested - set the S1 address and port (7000) in the configuration tool and be done with it. Letting the 2050 use DHCP won't do you any good if you're connected via VPN or from a different network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back