Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I2050 Rls 2 with roaming profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

vztech

Programmer
Jun 19, 2003
US
I have a bunch of 2050's the only issue is the users use roaming profiles.
So the agent will log out of the phone and the profile for the day.
Comes in the next day and logs into another PC the same DN appears on that PC also.

Maybe the 2050's need to go to 3.0 but then I would need a lic server.

It's only dialtone-VZ

Hmmmm can you elaborate a little more? Not familiar with roaming profiles, but that sounds like the agent will keep their extension no matter what PC they sit down at :D So that is the way it is supposed to work - do you want it to work differently? If you want the Agent to sit at a different PC and get a different DN you need to have the DN not follow the agent (roaming) and remain local to the PC only. Just trying to figure out what your process is going to be :)

I don't recommend 3.0 because of the stupid license server - I think it is just a Nortel ploy to get more money :D
Our 2.0 Softphones work just fine and I see no need to upgrade.

The way roaming profiles work is this... under documents and settings there's a username in windows.. that houses your "My Documents" "Desktop" and other folders along with a file called NTUSER.DAT. This NTUSER.DAT is what's probably holding the information. When roaming profiles are enabled everything under the user name under Documents and Settings is replicated up to the server. So that when the user sits down at a different computer and logs in it pulls all that information down from the server to the local computer. This way they have all thier files on their desktop and in my documents as well as things like wallpaper down to settings in programs. The NTUSER.DAT is actually a file that houses registry info that would be populated under HKEY_CURRENT_USER when the user logs on and this file is pulled from the server and loaded. If the softphone is populating a registry key in the User profile (NTUSER.DAT) then it's operating as expected. What you might do to verify is this.. go to Start, Run, type "regedit" then go to edit, find and populate the node IP you have setup in the softphone and tick off "Values" and "Data" and "Match whole string". When it finds that IP look at the bottom of that window and it will tell you the "Path" it found it at.. it will start with My Computer\HKEY_....... if it's HKEY_USER or HKEY_CURRENT_USER then it's in the user's profile and will go with the roaming profile and means that it's functioning as it's supposed to. Some program installs ask if this is to be used by only one user or all users... if one user is selected it's going to go with thier profile.. maybe you can try All Users and it might stay on the local machine???

Good Luck!
Aqua

AHHHH thanks for explaining roaming profiles Aquahallic :) I was thinking it was a roaming profile checkbox you could do on the softphone and WASN'T thinking it terms of romaing profile on the computer itself - I am a bit familiar with registry keys and .dat folders and yes it is likely that the softphone key is holding onto a string that matches the roaming profile to the particular softphone extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back