Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i2004 'Phase 0' and BCM 3.7 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

eagano

Programmer
Nov 10, 2005
US
I just bought what is apparently a phase zero phone (NTEX00BA) and I'm wondering if it's even compatible with my 3.7 BCM. I have read stories about having to TFTP the firmware, etc. and hope I have not created a nightmare for myself trying to save some money.

I have the i2004 on my home network, which is connected over IPSec tunnel to the BCM. When I power up the 2004 it says 'Locating server...' then just goes blank after a few seconds. The date says 01/01 12am.

I know that it is making a connection to the BCM - there are no IP problems. I have a i2050 on the same subnet at home that works perfectly. I can telnet to the BCM, run all the web tools, even run BCM Monitor with no issues. When I watch the IP Devices section of BCM Monitor when I power up the new phone, I can see it in the list - it shows up just the instant that the phone dispaly goes blank. It does not have an extension associated with it on the list.

I need to register the phone, and probably update the firmware. But the update never starts. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is going on here?

Thanks,
Mike

Phase 0 sets will work on BCM 3.7. Typically when the phone goes blank and just shows 1/1 12 AM, it means the phone is bad.

You could try taking the phone to the site where the BCM is and plug it into the LAN and see if it works there, just to rule out anything goofy with the VPN tunnel, but my guess is you have a bad phone.

As an aside, I'd avoid buying any of the EX phones. Go with at least a phase 1 set.

Thanks biv343. I've convinced the vendor to swap me for one that works. And I'll stay away from the EX phones in the future...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back